Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterTom's UstreamLog in

High Quality vs. Low Quality

Go down 
+10
mimeman
wasad
Sneakers
Bippo Ernesti
KevTehNev
Drag00n24
Ronso158
empressdonna
YGR
TomBobBlender
14 posters
AuthorMessage
TomBobBlender
Admin
Admin
TomBobBlender

Male
Number of posts : 95
Job/hobbies : Music Teacher
Humor : Happy
Infractions :
High Quality vs. Low Quality Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100High Quality vs. Low Quality Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-16

High Quality vs. Low Quality Empty
PostSubject: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 am

For any of you who were watching the stream Saturday night (debut of Wind Waker), you may have noticed a difference in terms of the stream broadcast. We tested the higher quality option for streaming, and while the audio/video enhancements were probably awesome, all other aspects of the stream greatly suffered. Here's my take on what I experienced.

LQ --vs-- HQ
Video is often fuzzy, but readable - Video is super clear
Audio is mono - Audio is full stereo
Video streams without major inturruptions- Video seems to hiccup to catch up
The chat convo is relatively close to the stream (4 seconds) - Chat convo is 15+ post actual events
Stream co-hosts are 4+ seconds behind real-time footage - Stream co-hosts are 9+ seconds behind real-time footage
Stream sounds (join/parts) are about 4 seconds late - Stream sounds (join/parts) are about 9 seconds late

If you have any comments or opinions on your experience as a viewer, please let us know. Information I have complied is strictly based on my point of view as a broadcaster.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tombobblender.com
YGR

YGR

Male
Number of posts : 353
Humor : Well, I watch Comedy Central, does that count?
Infractions :
High Quality vs. Low Quality Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100High Quality vs. Low Quality Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:46 am

I say keep high quality. I think this was one of the greatest improvements for the stream, even with a few cons, it is the best idea to keep the higher quality.
Back to top Go down
empressdonna
TBB Official Community Leader
TBB Official Community Leader
empressdonna

Female
Number of posts : 105
Job/hobbies : Student
Humor : Pancakey!?
Infractions :

Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:51 am

Low Quality is better for the cohosts in general, i can deal with the sound/quality being bad if it helps the cohosts.

I did enjoy HQ while it lasted though
Back to top Go down
Ronso158

Ronso158

Male
Number of posts : 308
Job/hobbies : Video games.
Infractions :

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 3:14 am

I think the Low Quality would be better for the Wiiplays that way the cohost won't be like 9 seconds behind.
Back to top Go down
Drag00n24

Drag00n24

Male
Number of posts : 27
Job/hobbies : Working at Disney
Infractions :

Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 3:36 am

empressdonna wrote:
Low Quality is better for the cohosts in general, i can deal with the sound/quality being bad if it helps the cohosts.

I agree with you
Back to top Go down
KevTehNev
Official TBB Community Leader/Hardcore MOTHER Fan
Official TBB Community Leader/Hardcore MOTHER Fan
KevTehNev

Male
Number of posts : 211
Job/hobbies : Video Games, Anime, Females, Drawing
Infractions :

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:00 am

Drag00n24 wrote:
empressdonna wrote:

I agree with you
me too Razz
Back to top Go down
Bippo Ernesti

Bippo Ernesti

Male
Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : Being tiresome and awkward.
Humor : Yes, please.
Infractions :

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:01 am

I really liked HQ, it was nice to finally be able to read what was on the screen. I didn't mind the sound delay, but the screen had slight issues, like freezing the image for a second or so. Overall, I'd say keep the HQ.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/bippo-ernesti/index.htm
Sneakers

Sneakers

Male
Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : semi-artist/cartoonist
Humor : weird
Infractions :

Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 am

I love High Quality....but perhaps going to low-res would be best.....I will miss high-res....damn you Internet...damn you to Hades!
Back to top Go down
wasad

wasad

Male
Number of posts : 534
Job/hobbies : Hobbies: Video Gamez
Humor : Humor? Is that some type of drug? No thanks.
Infractions :

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 am

High Quality for everything that doesn't involve co-hosts. Low Quality for everything that involves co-hosts. I really liked High Quality, but it was a little annoying to watch.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/darkmage300x
mimeman

mimeman

Male
Number of posts : 381
Infractions :

Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:34 am

i say high quality for the slides, low for the gameplay :3
Back to top Go down
L__N

L__N

Number of posts : 13
Infractions :

Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 8:46 am

I prefer the high quality personally. It really brings out the vividness of the graphics in games like Wind Waker. That said, I imagine it's extremely irritating for the co-hosts, who are lagging too far behind to be able to help much unless they peer into their crystal balls to predict the future.

I love the high quality, and would like to see it stay, but it might have to go out of necessity to keep co-hosting manageable. I don't mind the lag in the view at all, so for me it's just a matter of whether or not the co-hosts can handle the lag.
Back to top Go down
AncientGuru
The Purveyor of Wisdom & Insight
AncientGuru

Male
Number of posts : 129
Job/hobbies : Game Designer
Humor : dirty?
Infractions :

Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 2:40 am

High Quality was a huge improvement. Yes, it's harder for the stream to keep up, but if you're a cohost you should be able to hit the refresh button on the stream window every few minutes to keep up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hammcode.com
YGR

YGR

Male
Number of posts : 353
Humor : Well, I watch Comedy Central, does that count?
Infractions :

Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:56 pm

YGR wrote:
I say keep high quality. I think this was one of the greatest improvements for the stream, even with a few cons, it is the best idea to keep the higher quality.
Now I say low quality, because we are over 15 minutes behind on the stream compared to the chat. I was on at 11:53 AM EST in the chat, and all of a sudden the announcer said it's 11:30 on the stream. We need low quality for EVERYTHING now.
Back to top Go down
yuki_fox_demon
TBB Official Community Leader/Marshmallow Ghost
TBB Official Community Leader/Marshmallow Ghost
yuki_fox_demon

Female
Number of posts : 451
Job/hobbies : book-addict, writing, drawing, staying up *way* too late on tom's stream (X3), playing video games
Humor : "Moo" "Marshmallow" "Pkowr!"
Infractions :

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 1:15 am

i haven't seen much of high quality, but i didn't really like it. i didn't really mind the sound, but having the stream hiccup every few seconds defeats the purpose of watching. we can't exactly enjoy it if we cant hear or see it. i don't know about being able to read the things on the game, i've never had a problem reading it. plus tom usually voices the dialogue anyway. i would stick with Low quality for now, to make it easier on the co-hosts and the viewers.
Back to top Go down
AncientGuru
AncientGuru

Male
Number of posts : 129
Job/hobbies : Game Designer
Humor : dirty?
Infractions :

Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 2:40 am

With the changes to ustream, there was a lot more lag last night. For now LQ is the only option unfortunately.

I still believe that all the lag and bugs of the new design will get worked out and we can go back to perhaps considering HQ in the future. It wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hammcode.com
jzero15

jzero15

Male
Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Gaming
Humor : Alright
Infractions :

Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:36 am

there should be Medium quality instead emot-awesome
Back to top Go down
http://jonathanzero15.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High Quality vs. Low Quality   High Quality vs. Low Quality Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High Quality vs. Low Quality
Page 1 of 1